Empower Network

Monday, July 29, 2013

Tigers upset over Fernando Rodney's up-and-in pitch to Miguel Cabrera

UPDATE: Rays second baseman Ben Zobrist was hit with a pitch in the first inning. With Evan Longoria out of the lineup, Zobrist would have to be considered the Rays' best player, so it was clearly retaliation.

In the 10th inning Saturday, Rays closer Fernando Rodney threw a 98 mph pitch up-and-in onMiguel Cabrera. And neither Cabrera nor his manager, Jim Leyland, are taking too kindly to it.
Miguel Cabrera reacts to Rodney's high-and-tight pitch Saturday.

Cabrera -- as can be seen from the above picture -- was visibly upset with his former teammate and close friend. Leyland then went on a lengthy diatribe after the game.
"I don't care about throwing inside, but I don't like it up there," Leyland said. "We will not tolerate that. You can take that to the bank. We won't tolerate that up at the head, with anybody, not (just) Cabrera, but anybody. I'm not accusing anybody of anything, but we won't tolerate that. If you're going to just rare back and throw it, you can't throw it there. If you throw it down at the legs in or something for a purpose, I don't have any problem with that. But not upstairs.
"That'll cause a lot of problems for people," Leyland continued. "That's as simple as it is. That's not a good idea. That's not acceptable. If you want to throw inside, I have no problem with that. The old (expletive) about the one getting away, he's pitched long enough that they don't get away up there in that area, in my opinion. That won't be tolerated. You can take that to the bank. That's not acceptable. Like I say, if you want to throw down at the legs, or you're throwing, trying to come in there. And I'm not saying he was trying to hit him or anything, but you're going to throw head-high in there, that's not acceptable."
"I don't have any problem pitching inside," he continued. "It was a great challenge with two -- Rodney's a very good pitcher -- and a great hitter. It was a great confrontation, which Rodney won, and I don't have any problem with anybody pitching inside, that's none of my business, you have to do that. I agree with that 100 percent. But not up around the head. That's not acceptable."
--snip--
"I'm not going to speak to Rodney about it," Leyland said. "Rodney and I are still friends. But what he did tonight is not acceptable, and there's a price to pay for that. You just don't do that. … Up in that area, that's just not acceptable, friend or no friend."
If there's a Rays hit batsman Sunday by the Tigers, we should have a good idea where that came from. And a fight may ensue. Stay tuned.


A.M. Hempler

Work With Me

PS: The "Secret Formula" That Took Me From Being Over $40,000 in Debt, to Traveling Around The World and Making a 6-Figure Income From My Computer

No comments:

Post a Comment